JOHN SCOTT DAILEY FLORIDA INSTITUTE OF GOVERNMENT AT
FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY SOCIAL MEDIA USE POLICY
The John Scott Dailey Florida Institute of Government at Florida State University (IOG) supports the use of social media to further the organizational goals and the missions of its partners, where appropriate. Social Media Use Policy – For Public Posting, the IOG’s Social Media Use Policy is to be used by IOG staff as the guiding document while using social media sites in an official IOG capacity. The IOG’s Social Media Use Policy must be hyperlinked to all official IOG social media accounts for public review as well as be made available on the IOG’s website at iog.fsu.edu. All official social media content will be subject to review.
The IOG’s main website (iog.fsu.edu) is the organization’s primary and predominant internet presence. The best, most appropriate IOG uses of social media tools fall generally into three categories:
- As channels for disseminating time-sensitive information quickly;
- As marketing/promotional channels that increase the IOG’s ability to broadcast its messages to the widest possible audience; and
- As a means to engage in transparent conversations between the IOG, partners and their members, the press and the general public.
The IOG social media content and comments containing any of the following forms of content shall not be allowed:
- Comments not topically related to the particular social media article being commented upon;
- Comments in support of or opposition to political campaigns, policy statements or ballot measures that are not consistent with adopted IOG positions;
- Profane language or content;
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination, including but not limited to, on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation;
- Sexual content or links to sexual content;
- Solicitations of commerce;
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party;
- Content that encourages alcohol consumption or the use of legal/illegal drugs;
- Content of a threatening manner;
- Content that contains confidential or proprietary information about the IOG, its employees or vendors; and
- Content that violates another person’s right to privacy.
The IOG reserves the right to restrict or remove any content that is deemed in violation of this social media use policy or any applicable law. The IOG further reserves the right to block access of any person or entity to its social media platforms for a violation of this social media use policy or any applicable law.